CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 7

May Day Weight Challenge

So, there is a new May challenge popping up around blogville for bloggers who are working on losing weight. It allows those who join it to post about their success, healthy recipes, exercising tips..all that jazz.

And I would love to be a part of it, but there's one problem. I need to actually gain weight. Yes, you heard me. I do want to start eating healthier and I want to work out often. But I want to do these things to 1) be healthier and 2) to tone. I want some muscle definition. When I went to the doctor on Friday, I was weighed, and was surprised by how much I weigh. (I thought I weighed more) I am 108 lbs. and I am 5'3. So, I am actually considered underweight...but only by 3 pounds. Six or so years ago, I joined a gym and their trainer told me to gain 15 lbs. of muscle. Now, I don't think I need to gain that much muscle, but I would like to gain some muscle. And I do want to tone my tummy...which I feel is my only evidence besides the kids toting around with me, that I have had children.

Before I had kids, I was always around 105 lbs. I've always been tiny. I have a super high metabolism genetically. I eat a lot of junk food and a lot of fast food. I am not healthy at all in terms of what I eat. And I think I don't worry ever about my food choices, because I feel that physically (in terms of appearance), I don't see negative results from it.

But my body shows me in other ways that it isn't good. I am tired all of the time. I am moody and I have headaches if I don't get enough caffeine. So, I am doing the May Day challenge, but I'll change it to the May Day healthy challenge. Or the May Day Get Buff challenge. Or the May Day Tone Those Abs challenge. Or the May Day Stop Being a Couch Potato challenge.

I went out and got a really cool exercise ball that came with 3 workout dvds. I am lucky that I tone quickly and easily, so I should hopefully see results soon. I also have some videos that I can use for cardio too. I thought I'd have better luck disciplining myself to workout if I had more options to do here at home, since I stink at getting my butt out the door to go to the gym.

The hardest part will be to eat healthier. I did get some protein bars and some ensures. I will have 1 ensure a day as a snack only, just to help me get my vitamins in.

I also bought some magazines while at the grocery store. Unfortunately they were out of my favorite, Self, but I did get Shape. I like them because they have little exercise cards inside that you can cut out and try.

But I will tell you what I won't be doing....


Yes, that was part of a section in the Shape magazine as an example of an exercise you could do while at the park with your kids. There was another one that involved laying under a swing. The only one I would consider doing was the suggestion for a reverse crunch on the slide.
But laying like that on the picnic table would definitely turn some heads. I mean, come on?? Would YOU do that????