CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, January 27

Psalms Sunday #4








Today, we are looking at Psalm 4. This is the Psalm that first got me thinking about the idea of a meme to talk about the Psalms. One verse spoke out to me that afternoon, when I read it. I was about to come on here and blog all about it, when I decided, hey, what a great idea for a meme. Any ol' way..... you can bet, that that specific verse will be my focus today as I share to you what it means to me.

Psalm 4 (NKJV)

To the Chief Musician. With stringed instruments. A Psalm of David.
 1 Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness!
         You have relieved me in my distress;
         Have mercy on me, and hear my prayer.
         
 2 How long, O you sons of men,
         Will you turn my glory to shame?
         How long will you love worthlessness
         And seek falsehood?  Selah  
 3 But know that the LORD has set apart[a] for Himself him who is godly;
         The LORD will hear when I call to Him.
         
 4 Be angry, and do not sin.
         Meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still.  Selah  
 5 Offer the sacrifices of righteousness,
         And put your trust in the LORD.
         
 6 There are many who say,
         “Who will show us any good?”
         LORD, lift up the light of Your countenance upon us.
 7 You have put gladness in my heart,
         More than in the season that their grain and wine increased.
 8 I will both lie down in peace, and sleep;
         For You alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.


Anger and patience are two things I have definitely been struggling with lately, so it is no surprise that verse 4 grabbed my attention rather quickly. I grew up in a family where it was unusual if nobody was screaming. We conversed by shouting from one end of the house to another. And when we were angry, we made it very well known. I would scream on the top of my lungs and be so emotionally involved in my argument, that most of the time, I'd wind up just screaming to release everything, which would then be followed by sobbing.

I try very hard to make things in my home much different, but I still have my moments. There are times when I don't take a moment to think before responding. There are many times where I allow my sleepiness and my stress to get the best of me and I lose it. I scream, I shout, I stomp around. I slam cabinets in the kitchen, I grit my teeth at my daughter. It's bad...it's ugly. And there are some days when I wonder if I may not need some sort of anger management. So, needless to say, I was convicted greatly with verse 4.

I did do some research and I learned that the word used for anger in verse 4 is also the same word used in
Ephesians 4:26-27
Be angry but do not sin; do not let the sun set on your anger, and do not leave room for the devil.

Leave room for the devil, eh? I feel that when I act out on my emotion of anger, I let the devil in and he has a field day, let me tell you. It is at those moments, where I need to stop, sit, pray, and humble myself before God. I need to ask myself at that moment, if God was visibly standing right next to me at this very second, how would I handle this current situation?
Many of my prayers lately, throughout the day have been...God, I am tired right now. I need your strength. I don't want to be impatient. I don't want to be quick to anger. Please fill me up with your love....with your patience. Help me to display your gentleness. Help me.

When I act out on my anger, especially around my little miss, and I do not do it in the right manner, I am not teaching her well. I want her to learn how important it is to take a time out, to breathe, to calm down. I want to teach her how important it is to talk things through calmly. I want her to see that it is sooo important to be loving and gentle. And when I let the devil in, when I get so infuriated that I am seriously out of breath and my heart is racing a mile a minute, my reactions are not teaching her properly...AT ALL!!!!!

I need to be still at those times. I need to be still and meditate on the Lord.

As far as meditating on your bed, I am sure, well at least I think, that David meant at night before sleep. Why? because that's when things are quiet and peaceful. Also, I am sure that that is when one can begin to think in that silence and be anxious. But the way I take it, for myself, to help me with my struggle with anger....is to at that moment focus so much on Him and His peace and gentleness, that although my child is screaming on the top of her lungs....and hasn't been listening to me alllll day, I am to meditate and be still as if everything around me was muted and faded....as if all was quiet and peaceful.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic





What about you? How did this Psalm speak to you today?

Thank you for contributing. I'll see you again next week for Psalm 5.