CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, January 21

Psalms Sunday #3







I wanted to quickly thank Iris and Carol for the beautiful banner they created for me for Psalms Sunday. THANK YOU!!!

Psalm 3

A Psalm of David when he fled from Absalom his son.

1 LORD, how they have increased who trouble me!
Many are they who rise up against me.
2 Many are they who say of me,
“There is no help for him in God.” Selah

3 But You, O LORD, are a shield for me,
My glory and the One who lifts up my head.
4 I cried to the LORD with my voice,
And He heard me from His holy hill. Selah

5 I lay down and slept;
I awoke, for the LORD sustained me.
6 I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people
Who have set themselves against me all around.

7 Arise, O LORD;
Save me, O my God!
For You have struck all my enemies on the cheekbone;
You have broken the teeth of the ungodly.
8 Salvation belongs to the LORD.
Your blessing is upon Your people. Selah

I don't know about you, but there are many nights that I have a hard time falling asleep. I can't seem to ever shut my mind off. Usually, it's not that I am anxious or worrying, it's just that I tend to think about my day, about what I have to accomplish tomorrow. I rehash conversations I had. I think about the people that I need to talk to the next day. Stuff like that. My husband is different, most of the time. I hear most men are like him. He hits the pillow and BOOM he's asleep. Oh, how I wish I could do that more often. Sorry, I strayed off topic a bit.

In this Psalm, David knows that there are 10,000 men after him. Yes, 10,000 men wanting to kill him. Not only that, but his son was the leader of that group. Not only did he have that to be concerned with, but this was his own son. He was emotionally anguished. His own son had turned many against him, including some of David's good friends. But, David didn't stay up all night worrying about it. He didn't spend hours trying to drift off to sleep while he thought about how he would handle everything. He didn't have to, because he had placed it in God's hands. And when night came, he was able to sleep peacefully, cradled in His father's arms.

I found a quote once that said...."When at night you can not sleep, talk to the Shepherd and stop counting sheep." I also feel though, that when you are done talking to Him, close your eyes and peacefully drift off to sleep. No problem is too big for Him. Let Him have it. You need your rest.