CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 25

Psalms Sunday #12




New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society


Psalm 12

For the director of music. According to sheminith . A psalm of David. [a]

1 Help, LORD, for the godly are no more;
the faithful have vanished from among men.
2 Everyone lies to his neighbor;
their flattering lips speak with deception.

3 May the LORD cut off all flattering lips
and every boastful tongue

4 that says, "We will triumph with our tongues;
we own our lips [b] —who is our master?"

5 "Because of the oppression of the weak
and the groaning of the needy,
I will now arise," says the LORD.
"I will protect them from those who malign them."

6 And the words of the LORD are flawless,
like silver refined in a furnace of clay,
purified seven times.

7 O LORD, you will keep us safe
and protect us from such people forever.

8 The wicked freely strut about
when what is vile is honored among men.

Footnotes:

Psalm 12:1 Title: Probably a musical term
Psalm 12:4 Or / our lips are our plowshares


When I first started researching this Psalm this morning, I began looking into the refining of silver, because I was drawn to verse 6, "And the words of the LORD are flawless, like silver refined in a furnace of clay, purified seven times." But as I researched, I came across a devotion on the Psalms written by worship singer, Darlene Zschech. There was a story in Psalm 12's devotion that gave me goosebumps, so I wanted to share it with you this morning. But first I want to talk a little about this Psalm.

We can be hurt so easily by the words of others. What weapons our tongues are. And when we are stung, how easy it is to speak hurtful things back, to harden our hearts. But that isn't what God would have us to do. We need to forgive that person and have the knowledge that God will be in charge of instructing them in the error of their ways. If we do any more than forgive, if we speak of that person during our time of hurt, our words will be slanderous as well, because only God's words are flawless.

Now here is Darlene's story, which I pasted for you. At the end of the Story is a link to her devotion site. I am looking forward to reading her devotion each week as I prepare for my post. I encourage you to do the same. Have a blessed week everyone.

"When I started to study this Psalm, I could not help but dwell on the story of a young woman we met at the “Worship Memorial” Service we were part of in Bali. I noticed her in the crowd during the morning memorial service, as she is brutally disfigured over her face, but she sat quietly and confidently throughout the proceedings, bringing courage to those around her. I just assumed she had been injured during last year’s terrorist attacks.

It was at the night meeting that the pastor told us the real story. In 2000, in a village outside of Bali, in a refuge for women and children, terrorists cruelly savaged the small township, killing many of those that were there… but this woman fled for her life, screaming, “Lord help me, Lord help me”… just like David, and just like you and I have done many times. She ran to a man who looked like he would help… and he looked blankly at her and said “I’ll show you how God will help”, as he proceeded to stick a gun in her mouth and pulled the trigger, blowing her face apart… and yet somehow she lived.

This woman made a powerful decision… that as a Christian, she HAD to forgive, she had to rise above her hell on earth experience, stand on the reality of the word of God… and miraculously, as she chose to forgive these evil men, she took the sting out of the devil’s evil plans, and I watched her on the weekend stand before other victims and their families of the Bali bombing, showing them how forgiveness is not only possible, but necessary for healing of the soul, heart, mind and body. She worshipped… and she shone!!!"

Darlene's Psalms Devotions