CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, June 21

I can cook again

So, my hubby has been on a major health kick over the past 6 or so months. He is lucky, being in the Air Force, they make him do PT and give him time to do so. I wish someone would come to my house during the day and say..hey, you must work out now...go. And then they watch the kids and I work out. That would be grand. Anyway, he's been really watching what he eats. And I have been struggling. I make myself ice cream sundaes and then ask him if he wants one. LOL. Anyway, he has really, really high cholesterol and heart problems, it's genetic. So, he is really big on watching his saturated fat and cholesterol with meals. We found these frozen stir fry meals by Contessa, that are actually very yummy and very healthy, and for the past 7 or so months, it's what we've been eating almost every night for dinner. The only nights we don't eat them, is if we are out of them or out running errands, in which case, the unhealthy freak, little ol' me, gets pizza or fast food for us for dinner.
Anyway, before the Contessa stir fry kick, I was cooking different meals each night, trying to find new recipes. But now it's the same ol' same ol' most nights. Either Chicken Chow Mein, Cashew Chicken, Sesame Chicken, Paella, Shrimp Scampi, Chicken Stir Fry and well that's about it. There are some nights I am just sick of it. The only grand thing is, I only use one pan, it cooks in 10 minutes and the clean up is a breeze. But I miss home cooked meals, mashed potatoes, things like that.

So at Wal-mart last night, I was looking for a heart healthy cookbook. I know the American Heart Association makes one. But I couldn't find one. They did have a huge weight watchers one though and the meals in it look simply divine. So, I bought it. I am excited to look through it, pick some meals and buy the ingredients over the weekend for them. We can still do the stir frys, but I need a little more variety. And the food will be healthy. So, I am excited. I guess it doesn't take much, huh?