CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, November 6

What's the shape of your faith? Style






This week, it is all about my style. Here's the assignment.....

This weeks faith shape overlaps with all the others so far. What is your style?

How do you tend to go about things and how does that affect how you obey, worship, and love God?
Are you a go-getter or laid back?
Do you keep it simple or do you go all out?
Do you finish what you start or leave it for someone else?
Do you like the best laid plans or prefer to wing-it?
Do you like to be different, to stand out in the crowd?
Do you prefer to go about unseen, be like everyone else?
Do you prefer the unusual or the normal, the intellectual or action?
Are you a doer or a dreamer?
Are you a follower or rebellious?
Are you old fashioned or do you like all things new?
Do like things the same or do you prefer change?
Are you very open about your life or are you more secretive and careful?
Last of all, how does your personal style affect your relationship with Him?

How do you tend to go about things and how does that affect how you obey, worship, and love God?


Well, I seem to always have tons of things on my plate. And although I say that I love to do a million things at once...and I work the hardest when I have more to do, I think my hubby can tell you, that I am not always the nicest when I have a lot to get done. I have always been the person who has tons to do. A lot of it is because I like to procrastinate. So, the stuff I put off the day before gets added to my agenda for the following day. I also seem to always be on the go..up and moving. As a kid, I was involved in many things; dance, plays, music, school....I was always out and about. And if I try to give myself less to accomplish in a day, I seem to long for more on my plate, so I'll create projects for myself, like organizing one of the kitchen cabinets for instance. So, I am definitely Martha. I think this part of my personality is the main reason I don't spend enough time in the word. I don't just sit still and commune with God. The only time I think I ever seem to escape all and sit there with my Father, is when I am singing one of my favorite worship songs to Him; with my eyes closed and arms up toward Him.

I am a planner. I like to have my days, weeks planned. And I can sometimes get stressed when things don't happen accordingly. There are times when I can be more laid back or spontaneous, but for the most part, I like to stick to an agenda.
Sadly, I don't seem to plan Bible Study and quiet time into the picture. I plan grocery shopping, cleaning, laundry, meals, all of that, but I don't seem to pen in my time with God. That is definitely something I am striving to change in these next days / weeks ahead. They say it takes 21 days to make a habit. I will make today day one.

I am easily distracted. I can sometimes struggle with focusing on someone when in a one on one conversation with them. I mean, I am hearing them and listening to them, but I am also listening to the three other conversations going on around me. I have to really concentrate on listening and paying attention to someone. Which I can do, if I want or need to. I will sit in a restaurant with my hubby and tell him what all the different parties around us are talking about. I can't help it. It's not that I am nosy, which I know it comes across as. But I love to watch people. I love to watch their mannerisms and how it goes along with what they are talking about. This tendency toward distraction does get in the way of my prayer time. I catch my mind wandering while in prayer with God. So, that is another time I have to really focus and concentrate.

I also can't seem to ever shut off my brain. I think one of the reasons I find myself feeling stressed or overwhelmed quite often, is because I am constantly thinking about all of the things I have to do. Here, why don't you step into what goes on in my brain in any given moment.........Ready...here goes......
Right now, I am thinking......
I have to get my appeal form to the school. Oh and I must make the car payment. What time is it? The pork will take 10 hours so I must get it into the crock pot soon. I wonder what I should do for the miss' birthday cake? Oh, I can't forget to mail my license renewal form out. I also need to complete the paperwork for the Air Force in regards to the miss' skull fracture. I really need to work on my support letters for my mission trip. I need to send more out. My first payment deadline is fast approaching. I really should plan this week and next week's menus. I can't forget to get cracking on my day care's end of the year paperwork. Hmmm...How are we on diapers, formula and bottled water? Did I remember to give the mister his medicine? I have to get those clothes put away. Oh, don't forget to jot down the volunteer dates for the Thanksgiving meals and the Operation Christmas Child Relay Center. Speaking of Thanksgiving? What am I making, again?
So, that is my brain alllll day long. And I think that is another reason, I tend to be more like Martha and less like Mary.

I feel I am very open about my life. I seem to share most everything with anyone who may be interested. And sometimes, I think I talk too much to too many people. Because I think when it comes time to talk to God about the same things, I am just sick of talking about it. I am so busy telling everyone else.....and I leave God out of it. I know that I should talk to God first...and then my blog and my friends can share the news as well. That is another thing I am working on changing.

So, as you may also be able to tell, I am very tuned into who I am and what things I need to improve upon. And while I am very quick at also observing changes that I think my friends and loved ones could make, I also stay quite focused on what I could be doing differently.

Becoming a little less like Martha is definitely on my agenda. Except I just put it as an agenda....oh my...really, I will become more like Mary, really.

I just found the cutest little poem about this Martha/Mary dilemma.

"Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word. But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her." -- LUKE 10:38 - 42

I must have the hands of Martha;
Hands that scrub and cook and sew --
I can have the heart of Mary
While I do these things, you know;
Though my hands are in the dishpan,
This soul of mine can soar
And in thoughts sublime and lofty
Go right up to heaven's door.

I must cook, oh endless dinners,
For dear ones have to eat;
But my soul need not be cooking --
It can sit at Jesus' feet!
Help me, God, while doing duties
Against which my soul rebels,
Meekly still to peel potatoes,
But not to grovel in the shells.

Grant me, God, 'mid things prosaic,
Ere to choose the better part;
Grant that while I must be "Martha",
I can have a "Mary" heart.
Author Unknown