CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, November 1

A Light In The Darkness

My almost three-year old has recently refused to go to sleep without her light on in her room. I don't particularly like the idea of the light on all night, since I think it interferes with her sleep. So, we went out and got her a night light. However, the last few nights there has been a recurring trend when we put her to bed. When we go to turn her night light on, we discover that it is missing. At some point during the day, our smart little cookie removes it from the wall and takes it apart. She then hides the light bulb, cover and the part that plugs into the wall, somewhere in her room. We end up finding it once she is asleep, plug it in and turn off her light.

Anyway, my hubby just came downstairs after checking on our sleeping miss with the night light pieces in hand, to show me that he found it and once again it was hidden in her dresser drawer.

I immediately thought of the Bible verse
"See to it, then, that the light within you is not darkness."Luke 11:35 (New International Version)

I then asked myself if I don't sometimes do a similar thing my little miss does, in that I don't always show my light through my thoughts and actions. Do I sometimes allow myself to hide my light?

According to Luke 11:34, My eye is the lamp of my body. When my eyes are good, my whole body also is full of light. But when my eyes are bad, my body also is full of darkness. What things have I let in today that has dimmed my light? What images on television? What words in my email? What stories on the internet?

My little miss takes apart her night light so that she doesn't have to use it in the darkness. Am I interfering with and manipulating my light so that it isn't able to shine to its full power?

Eph 5:8-14a Once you were "darkness", but now as Christians you are "light". Live then as children of the light. The light produces in men all that is good and right and true. Let your lives be living proofs of the things which please God. Steer clear of the fruitless activities of darkness; let your lives expose their futility. (You know the sort of things I mean; to detail their secret doings is too shameful to mention.) For light is capable of showing everything for what it really is. It is even possible for light to turn the thing it shines upon into light also.