CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, December 6

Serving Your Husband

Do any of you visit the Virtuous Woman Proverbs 31 Site listed on my sidebar? You should if you don't. It's a great site.

There is an article on there this month in regards to having a servant heart toward your husband. It's funny, well actually it isn't...but there are so many afternoons when I think to myself, gosh I have had such a good and easy day today. I know my hubby has been so dreadfully busy at work and I know he doesn't feel well. When he gets home, I want the house to be calm for him. I want him to be able to rest. I want to cook dinner for him and feed him because I know he ate lunch at 11:00 and he is going to be hungry. I want him to relax until the kids are ready for bed and then I want the two of us to cuddle with a movie. Such good and well-meaning thoughts I have. But it very rarely ever goes that way.

Now, he usually does get to rest for a bit and he usually does get to spend some time doing his own thing. But it's usually not calm in the house until 9:00 P.M. when both kids are finally asleep. And sometimes I forget how much I wanted for him to take it easy...when while I am trying to prepare dinner, our three year old is getting into everything under the sun and our five month old is screaming on the top of his lungs. And then when the hubby doesn't respond to either child right away, as if he was waiting for me to, which is what I wanted for him to do anyway, I get angry with him. And my plans of serving my husband for the evening go down the drain.

Anyway, this article reminded me of where my heart is in the afternoon and how I want to serve my hubby and it encouraged me to really focus on the many ways in which I can serve my husband. Here is a snippet from the article.

"I was hungry and you gave me food; I was thirsty and you gave me drink; I was a stranger and you took me in; I was naked and you clothed me; I was sick and you visited me; I was in prison and you came to me." Matthew 25:35-36

You could say it this way: - My husband is hungry so I will give him good food to eat so that he is filled with warmth and love. - My husband is working hard in the yard so I will bring him a fresh glass of iced lemonade to refresh his body and spirit. - My husband is feeling alone so I will go to him and comfort him in ways that he will appreciate. - My husband needs clean clothes so I will sort them and wash them and fold them and hang them up so they are there when he needs them. - My husband is ill so I will comfort him and bring him food in bed and cleanse his face so he knows I care. - My husband is imprisoned by others actions and he feels discouraged and confused so I will go to him and pray with him and be there when he needs me.

When we serve our husbands we begin to grow softer spirits, more loving hearts. When we serve our husbands our marriage is renewed and nurtured. When we serve our husbands what we are really doing is serving Jesus. We will be blessed in ways we can hardly imagine!