CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, December 12

In Other Words




Once again, another great quote this week. I totally agree with it.

"I am the one holding the keys to the atmosphere in our home."
~ Terry Maxwell ~
Author of:
Homeschooling with a Meek
and Quiet Spirit



I am assuming most are going to mention the saying, "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy." And quite honestly, it is completely true. As the wife and mother, I really do hold the flow of the household in the palm of my hand. When I am calm, gentle, loving and peaceful, things seem to go well. The house is filled with smiles, laughter and tranquility. But, when I get stressed, frustrated, tired and even hungry, my emotions become contagious and pretty soon everyone is walking around the house with sighs of irritation.


Now, I know there are times I can start out peaceful and gentle and circumstances around me, or the behavior of my children may lead to a change of spirit, but that isn't an excuse. In fact, it is those times where I need to keep the calm the most.


Everyone loves it the most when their house is a happy place to be, I know I sure do. And I really do strive to keep it that way. And when I do boil over and explode, I usually catch myself pretty quickly, apologize and try to work on my approach to things for the rest of the day or evening.


Have any of you read the blog, Raising Five? It's a wonderful blog. There was one post I read on there recently, where she talked about how she has to constantly remind herself throughout the day to love and sacrifice around her house the way Christ loves and sacrificed for us. And it's really true. And it does take effort sometimes, especially when it's 9:30 P.M., you've barely had a moment to yourself, and both kids are still awake and screaming. But really, it is loving like Christ that keeps the peace and fills the home with warmth. So that is my goal each and everyday. Some days go more smoothly than others.


In one day, I can watch myself react to similar situations in two very, VERY different ways. For instance, my three-year old is at that age where she wants to be independent. She doesn't want to listen and she loves to say no. At one point in the day, she had been testing my patience for a good couple of hours and everything was a fight. She had just again achieved to make me question whether or not I was about to go insane. I was slowly losing my patience with her. She wasn't obeying me and she was whining and screaming. I sternly said her name, placed her face in my hands and gave her a kiss. And to be honest, it shocked her a bit, because I think she was expecting a warning, a spanking or a scolding. She immediately stopped fighting me, looked up at me and asked, "Mommy, you kissed me?" And I said yep. I sure did!


Later that night, however, I didn't respond to her as lovingly. We have been fighting her on using the potty. She completely understands having to go, she grasps the entire concept. She is just stubborn and refuses to sit on the potty. It was the afternoon and I wanted her to use the potty. She wouldn't even sit on it. She was screaming on the top of her lungs and began to work herself up quite a bit. I quietly and lovingly tried to get her to stop and listen to me. But she just grew louder and louder. Finally, I just let out a roar. Seriously, I went AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH on the top of my lungs.
Have you seen Monster's Inc.? Do you know the scene where boo accidentally walks in when Sully is showing the other monsters how to be scary and he screams. Do you remember the look on Boo's face? That's what my child did. She then said, "Mommy, you scared me. You were like a monster." Talk about putting me in my place.


I apologized and watched myself the rest of the day. Okay I think I totally went on a rant here. But basically, my job as a wife and mother is to take care of my household and the people in it. And emotions are contagious, attitudes are contagious and part of making a home welcoming, is the environment it keeps. I need to watch my thoughts and my actions continually to make sure that I make my home a loving and peaceful place to be. When they say, "there's no place like home", it's supposed to be a good thing. Not wow...Nowhere else is it as crazy and stressful and loud and unhappy as in my home.


Loving like Christ is the key.

There is a verse in the book of Psalms that I read the other day, that I really have tried to focus on lately, In regards to my actions, words and attitude. It is Psalm 4:4.. "Be angry and do not sin. Meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still."


*UPDATE* I was just reading other contributions about today's quote and came across the post at A Measure Of Grace. It is a MUST READ!!!!!