CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 11

Top 12 of Idol

So, Boomama has invited us Idol fans to discuss each night's performances throughout the rest of the season. So, since I am a fan...and have been discussing them since the top 24 on my myspace blog, I figured, why not do it here too. So, here goes... And just so you know, I am picky when it comes to technical stuff like pitch, breath, pronunciation, so you may hear a lot about that in my critiques.

1. Syesha Mercado - “Got To Get You Into My Life”

Okay, I don't think I have ever heard this song before. She seemed drowned out by the band. I do love the band by the way. I was bored with her performance, but she does have a beautiful voice.

2. Chikezie - “She’s A Woman” -
First time I have seen this side of him. He nailed his performance. It had a soul/rock vibe and it really showed off his range. Superb!

3. Ramiele Malubay - “In My Life” - Okay, I keep waiting for this girl to just belt. She has the chops. Singing softly, however, does show the control she has with her voice...but why, oh why, won't she ever belt or make some parts of the song louder or something? Give me something, Ramiele. She did struggle with her low notes. I didn't like the key she sang in. And, like the judges, I kept waiting for her to change it up a bit.
I think she is still safe this week, but it really wasn't good, at all.

4. Jason Castro - “If I Fell” - Okay, I feel like I have heard the same version of his arrangement before in a cover of this song. It's bugging me too. I know I have! He has gorgeous natural vibrato, by the way. He needs to work on his breathing. He kept breathing in the middle of phrases. And please sing the word, "you" correctly. It isn't, "Hugh", it's "you". I still think he sounds really great.
Okay, I found it!!!

From LYRICSMODE.COM lyrics archive
Song lyrics |
It isn't exactly the same, but very similar parts. Not that it matters. I am just happy it isn't bothering me anymore.


5. Carly Smithson - “Come Together” -
Okay, this chick is a pro, people. Look at her confidence and the way she owns the stage. Another great performance from her. She rocks! And on a side note, I'd really love to know the story behind her tattoo.

6. David Cook - “Eleanor Rigby” -
I am not sure why, but I was wondering today, if someone was going to sing Eleanor Rigby. I had a hard time getting into his performance though. It was bland to me until the chorus. I loved the chorus. I loved the ending too. He did a great job, but it wasn't better than his version of Hello.

7. Brooke Smith - “Let It Be” -
I just LOVE this girl. I will probably say that every week. I love her personality. I want to be her friend, LOL.
I also love vocals with piano. At first, I thought she was struggling or distracted, but it turns out, she was just emotional. I loved her song choice, and I loved her performance. She did great!

8. David Hernandez - “I Saw Her Standing There” -
I am sorry, but David really bothers me. I am honestly ready to see him go home. And please, people, stop breathing in the middle of words...don't sing "sta..(breath)..anding.

9. Amanda Overmyer - “You Can’t Do That” -
I have to admit, I am not a fan of Amanda's. But she is a great performer, I will give her that. She gets into the song, dances all around, gets the crowd involved. I don't think she'll be in it much longer though.

10. Michael John - “Across The Universe” -
I do love this song...and I was moved by his performance. I saw his emotion when he was singing it. And I sat, frozen, watching him. I think he did a great job.

11. Kristi Lee Cook - “Eight Days A Week” -
Woah! What did she do???? It may just be me and my ears, but it seemed like the band was faster than her, as if she was off beat the whole time. It bothered me, distracted me....and I kept waiting for the band to slow down and match her tempo.
I was not impressed. I haven't really been impressed with her much at all this competition, except for her Amazing Grace audition and her 80's night song. Those were great. Everything else, like tonight, has been blah. I wish Alaina was still in it and Kristy wasn't.

12. David Archuletta - “We Can Work It Out” -

Well, poor guy, this was definitely not his night. But I don't think he has to worry at all about being kicked off. He just didn't have the confidence tonight. He still showed off his vocals though.

Best of the night, for me..... Chikezie

Worst of the night, for me.....David H. and Kristy
And one of them will be going home, I think.